Lose Your Diet Mentality And Thin Happens
That requires a longer answer than I could do on FB.
This is what I know:
No matter how much you weigh, dieting hurts you. So the first thing is to stop dieting. I care more about this than being “thin.”
But happily, for me and many of the people who follow me, when you stop dieting, your body is able to lead you to your ideal weight range.
It is the ultimate irony.
So it is not so much that I think “thin” (and I mean healthy thin) is better, it is simply that when you have a healthy thin mentality, instead of a diet mentality, Thin Happens! So I advise that your goal is not to be thin, it is to build a healthy, happy relationship with food, and you will be delighted with the result.
These are things that I never thought I would do, when I was a dieter, that I do now with a Healthy Thin Mentality:
- Suddenly realize I didn’t eat anything for lunch
- Go to dinner and not order because I wasn’t hungry
- Eat cake for breakfast and not feel guilty
- Choose a kale salad because I really wanted it
- Eat salad without dressing because I just really wanted to taste the vegetables
- Eat chicken in the middle of the night because I woke up hungry
- Eat just the top of a donut
- Never ever weigh myself except when I go to the doctor
- Everything is my closet- even really old stuff, fits
- Exercise because I want to
- Skip exercise because my body told me I was too tired
There are so many more. Please join me in this life where your time and energy are spent on love, good work, and an appreciation of the simple and joyful pleasure of living. Everything isn’t perfect. But no matter what is going on in your life, a calm and happy relationship with food, eating and your body nurtures you.
For years, dieting robbed me of this because it made me disrespect the wisdom, instincts and beauty of my body so completely.
I am begging you, my friends, to understand this. Because I wish someone had explained this to me, when I was a young woman. You CAN do this.