That “Dieter’s High” Doesn’t Last

dieters high

If a friend of yours has lost weight by dieting a working out a lot, they are on a “dieters high.”  They feel like they have the answer.  They feel so good about themselves, like the “get it,” and they will never gain weight again.

I never argue with that person or warn them that the weight will come back, that they can’t keep up that huge commitment to exercise, etc.


First, because I don’t want to be a “buzz-kill.”  Do you know what I mean?  They are happy.  I am not going to rain on their parade.

Second, because I also know that no matter what I say, they will have an answer.  They will absolutely be unwilling to think logically about their diet mentality right now.

Instead, I just smile and wish them well.  And I am completely sincere in that.  I want people to find their way to be healthy and lean and happy and relaxed around food.

I am 53 years old though, and I have seen enough, and experienced enough my self to KNOW that dieting does not result in becoming naturally thin, happy, and relaxed around food.

Dieting either makes most people (95% or more)  yo-yo dieters.  The other 5% (or  less) maintain weight loss by dieting constantly.  And constantly dieting is a very unhappy way to live.  It promotes a rigid, joyless, obsessive relationship with food.

Quite a price to pay…

So, if you are one of the smart people who understand this, don’t be surprised if you have a hard time convincing others of this wisdom.  Even I do!  And I have made helping others understand the dark side of a diet mentality a big priority in my life!

But remember, actions speak louder than words.  If your friends see you becoming joyful around food, eating food that you love (and they fear,) you will be setting a great example for them.

And I really do invite you to participate in a forum or just leave a comment on this site about your experience.  I run this site because I have experienced the negativity of a diet mentality.  And, I want people to understand that a healthy thin mentality is not only possible, it is normal!  I need your help to show that what I say is valid.

If you have felt any sense of freedom, hope or “aha” moment, know that your words will mean a lot to someone who is just investigating this for the first time.  Let’s help each other.

Thanks a lot and stay in touch.  More blogs, tweets and posts to come. And videos and podcasts-  trying to cover all the bases!!



Find out more in my book and workbook.

Click here
Meg Meranus
Meg is committed to helping frustrated dieters see the truth: Diets don’t work, and ironically, over time, actually make you fatter.